The first IT disaster recovery centre of the Bulgarian State administration has been delivered by Bull to the Ministry of Finance
In December 2006, the Bulgarian Ministry of Finance chose Bull to implement a multi-site disaster recovery solution between two major Bulgarian cities, separated by 250km. The main disaster recovery requirement was to replicate data within each site, and also between the disaster recovery sites, each of which is equipped with two Bull StoreWay FDA storage arrays.
For this disaster recovery solution, Bull put in place an FC-over-IP storage network using QLogic devices, and provided the IT infrastructure that includes:
- Bull NovaScale servers running Linux and MS Windows Server 2003
- Bull StoreWay FDA disk arrays (equipped with snapshot, local replication, remote replication and performance monitoring software options) and Brocade SAN switches
- Bull backup libraries
- NovaScale Master to manage servers, FC switches and storage devices.
To implement the solution, Bull deployed a number of services including:
- Design, planning and implementation of the disaster recovery solution
- Device and operating system (including clustering) installation, configuration and testing
- Assistance with installing customer applications – Oracle, MS SQL Server, SAP, DB2
- Network environment configuration, involving FCP, Ethernet, FCIP and iSCSI devices
- OpenSave installation and configuration, and integration in the customer environment
- Rack arrangement and cabling
- NovaScale Master installation and configuration.
The solution is now at work: local data replication (DDR), remote data replication (RDR) and dynamic snap volume have been successfully tested and work without any problems.
Bull created the necessary organization to finalize the project on time and within budget, with all services, tests and training being carried out and reports being accepted without reserve.
This was the Bulgarian government’s first disaster recovery initiative, and it will act as an example for others to follow.