Customs are facing ever increasing complexity. What can they expect from Information Technology?
International and domestic environments evolve rapidly:
- The markets are global, and international trade is complex and vulnerable to terrorist threats that have the potential to damage the global economy
- The efficiency of customs procedures can significantly influence competitiveness
- Regulations change rapidly and overlap with one another. They must comply with new international treaties: free trade areas (eg. NAFTA) or customs unions like the European Union (EU) and Mercosur.
Against this backdrop, customs authorities have to provide increased security to the global supply chain and contribute to socioeconomic development by facilitating trade and collecting revenues.
They therefore have to balance efficient and fast clearance with the enforcement of rapidly-changing regulations, to protect citizens and industry.
Information Technology allows to:
- Systematically track consignments,efficiently process goods declarations,calculate duties and warranties, and enforce non-tariff measures in real time
- Detect high-risk cargo and goods in real time
- Accelerate the release of goods
- Provide an auditable fast track for Authorized Economic Operators
- Interrogate the declaration database, to identify suspicious behaviour
- Decide post-clearance audits and manage the audit case
- Learn from the results of investigations and inspections, to help refine risk assessment criteria and allocate resources
- Ensure integration within customs unions (eg. compliance with EU requirements)
- Easily accommodate changes in regulations, procedures, customs regimes and declaration forms
- Implement emergency measures in just a few hours.
The e-biscus suite includes:
• e-biscus Manifest >
• e-biscus Clearance >
• e-biscus Tariff & Regulation >
• e-biscus Interfaces management >
Risk management related modules:
• e-biscus Risk Assessment >
• e-biscus Post-Clearance Audit >
Dedicated modules for EU member states:
• e-biscus TARIC >
• e-biscus TQM (Tariff Quotas Management) >
• e-biscus Surveillance >
• e-biscus CCN/CSI Connectivity >
The suite is based on e-biscus Configuration to define and maintain all systems parameters.